Peter Gammons reported today:
With the Twins in search of middle-infield help, one potential target is free agent David Eckstein. "I've always had a lot of respect for him," said
He’s really short, we get it.
"He catches the ball.”
But not very well.
Among 24 qualified shortstops last year, he placed 22nd in Fielding Percentage. Don’t like Fielding Percentage? He’s in the middle of the pack in terms of Range Factor and Zone Rating in his position. He has the 6th most errors (not catching the ball) among qualified shortstops while having the 3rd least total chances.
I think Gammons cut him off. What Gardenhire meant to say was "He catches the ball--but not very well."
"He knows how to play."
I’d expect that a historian knows how to read and write. I’d expect that a chef knows how to cook. I’d expect an account knows how to count. I’d expect that a baseball player knows how to play baseball.
"He's a proven winner."
Why, because he happened to be on two teams who have won a couple World Series recently? Or maybe you think that all five foot and three inches of him single-handedly fielded, batted, pitched, and cheerleaded his teams to glory? I doubt it.
Other proven winners/players with two World Series rings:
Doug Mirabelli, Timo Perez, Jose Vizcaino, Juan Encarnacion, and Scott Spiezio. Proven. Winners.
No comments:
Post a Comment